Saturday, May 19, 2018

Physics Week 2 - Quantum Mechanics

As I understand Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, both the position and momentum of a particle are random and defy measurement because they are independent phenomena.  And, some consider that the act of observing the particle may have an effect on it.  At best, a range of possible locations and momentum can be speculated.  Scientists and mathematicians have developed enough data to know that there are characteristics of given particles within this invisible world, however, they are not 100% certain. 

We don't see quantum concepts in our daily lives which makes quantum theory both difficult to explain and understand for those of us that are not Physicists or Mathematicians.  The average human brain is not currently capable of comprehending the quantum world that does not have definitive, measurable, behaviors and characteristics. Just because we can't see it, doesn't mean that it is not there, and here, and way over there!

Now try to imagine imposing cause-effect statistics on these invisible quantum particles whose very nature is random and can not be measured with certainty.  In classic Physics an effect can not occur from a cause that is not in the past of that event and a cause can not have an effect outside of the future of that event.  Cause assumes there was a time before.  As Lawrence Krauss explains, "in the quantum world cause does not mean purpose.  There is no proof of purpose or design."

I believe the universe is wonderfully weird and that the human mind has centuries to go before it can comprehend the many secrets and marvels we don't currently understand or even know about.  I can't explain why I have woken up with a "feeling" that something really incredible was going to happen and I find out that evening that my son has been accepted at UC Davis in their Mechanical Engineering program...but it did happen.  I often observe the moon and the stars on clear nights and have a feeling of calm acceptance in the knowledge that I am not even a grain of sand in the cosmos.  So I wonder at this weird universe in which I exist on the third rock from the sun in this tiny solar system and I am grateful. 

1 comment:

  1. well said about explaining uncertainty,I agree with you that people usually believe something that they can feel or see ,I spent lot of time to understand this subject and still not sure, because you have to imagine this concept.

    ReplyDelete