Monday, May 28, 2018

Biology Week 3 - Sleep

Thousands of studies conducted over the last decade have shown the negative effects of insufficient sleep such as:

  • increased risk for obesity and Type 2 diabetes
  • increased risk for cardiovascular disease and hypertension
  • reduced immune function
The recommendation for adequate sleep is eight hours every night.  Major functions in the body such as tissue repair, muscle growth, and protein synthesis occur almost exclusively during sleep.  New studies regarding brain function and sleep suggests this time is when the brain clears toxins and waste.  Previous studies have shown that sleep is when the brain is able to fix memories and learning.

From personal experience being around family or friends that haven't had enough sleep even for just one night, they tend to be distracted, have minor "accidents" (ie: spilling things, bumping into things), and are more easily agitated.

Over the last week I noticed that I was having some trouble falling asleep and was waking up one or two times during the night.  So I broke out my sleep "hygiene" guides and removed all electronics from my room, went to bed at 10:00 pm, and turned out all the lights.  I have slept through the night for the last three nights without waking until about 6:00 am.  I don't think the full moon has affected my sleep but I certainly have!

2 comments:

  1. Immune function was always a big one for me! If I didn't have enough sleep, I would definitely be more susceptible to catching a cold the next few days afterwards. Also yes, I've had to learn the hard away about sleep for exams. Cramming does not work haha. I've done much better by just sleeping rather than studying for exams the morning after. Also thanks for the sleep hygiene tips! I haven't thought about removing my electronics and that makes so much sense. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the sleep hygiene guides. I think myself as well as most people need to be a bit more conscious of the late night tv, phone usage and any other stimulation close to bedtime. Eliminating those will make a difference.

    ReplyDelete