Saturday, July 14, 2018

Week 10 Chemistry - Under the Kitchen Sink and Safer Cleaning Products

The first row of cleaners under my kitchen sink that I use all of the time are Dawn dishwashing soap, Cascade dishwasher pods, Amway glass cleaner, Amway general purpose cleaner, and my own DIY mix of 1/3 Dawn and 2/3 distilled white vinegar, which is my go to cleaner.  Shoved in the back are Easy-Off oven cleaner (don't know who bought that because I never use it), Rug Doctor carpet cleaner, Soft Soap liquid hand cleaner, and Raid ant killer.  All of that stuff in the back will go on my next trip to the hazardous waste drop off.  As I use up the stuff in the first row, I will replace them with safer products I have found on the Environmental Working Group website, ewg.org.  They do extensive testing and research and provide guides for environmentally safe products for everything from household cleaners to curtains and mattresses.  There are a lot of safer cleaning products on the market and I intend to do a better job choosing them.  They also offer a guide for DIY cleaning products.

1 comment:

  1. It might be a fun excursion to the store for “clean” cleaning products! There are so many options available nowadays when it comes to safer alternatives and the options keep increasing as public demand grows.

    ReplyDelete