Saturday, July 14, 2018

Week 10 Biology - Ecosystems and Deep Ecology

I think it is a sad reflection on the state of our civilization that we need an eight-point deep ecology platform.  The first seven points should be intuitive and "common sense" leaving number 8 unnecessary.  I also think that number 3 should read..."Humans have no right to reduce this richness and diversity."  Adding..."except to satisfy vital needs." just provides a loophole.  The powerful and rich have demonstrated over and over that they can justify "a vital need" to meet their goals with the stroke of a pen.  I mean, in the U.S. corporations have "person" status.  Does that really help us as a national ecosystem?

Ecosystems are strong as a whole because they are diverse and rich with experts that do their parts well and interact and support the rest of system.  The interconnectedness doesn't need to be graphed and made a priority because it exists to benefit the ecosystem AND its individuals.  But it is fragile when parts of it are devoured with far reaching consequences.  I truly believe that mother nature will eventually win.  I saw it first hand when I worked at an Army base as a contractor.  The army was closing this 7000 acre facility and as it decommissioned an old production line, when you went back a year later there were no signs of the roads and concrete structures that were not able to be demolished.  New plants and growth had reclaimed the land and wildlife was thriving.  It was truly a beautiful sight to see.

The end goals of social ecology are fantastic but again, should be intuitive.  I fear we humans have raped and pillaged our beautiful Earth and each other beyond redemption but it is still worth the effort to do better.  There are some really incredible organizations in the world with passionate, engaged people working to hold politicians, corporations, and industrial businesses accountable.  And I try as an individual to break my consumer brainwashing, especially when I throw something in the Amazon cart that I think is a vital need!  I love it when I remove everything from the cart and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment