Saturday, June 16, 2018

Biology 11 June - The Complexity and Nature of Life

Living systems are everywhere in the universe and each affects the other.  They are in a continual process of growth, decay, repair and homeostasis.  The individual systems support the collective systems and vice versa.  I only need to look as far as my backyard to see examples - the birds take the dead grass and weeds to build their nests where their eggs will be hatched, or eaten by the squirrels, and the living systems continue.

Non-living systems are simply structures that do not self repair, die and decay to be food for the remaining living systems and I can not think of any the exist in nature.  The computer I am using on the desk I have while I sit in this chair are all non-living systems, except for me of course.  Non-living systems all seem to have been created by humans to make their lives easier.  However, this has lead to an excessive consumerism based culture and our species is destroying the living systems that sustain our lives.  If we don't find our way back to a balance with our Earth's living systems and choose life over convenience,  what will be left for the next generations?

No comments:

Post a Comment